Subject: <VV> Longest Trip in a Corvair

James Davis jld at wk.net
Tue May 31 11:41:48 EDT 2005

There are several Ultra Van owners on the list.  A short Ultra trip is
considered to be about 1,200 miles and a couple weeks.  My longest was in
was in 2003 to the UVMCC western summer rally in Halicon Hot Springs, BC,
and points west in BC; a total of  7,711 miles in five weeks.  We have made
four other trips out west in Beau (UV #388) but they were shorter, in the
6,000 mile range.  For instance, the trip to Portland will be in the 5,800
mile range.  Beau has been in every state in the conus but Rhode Island in
the past five years.  Beau has never stranded us in five years and 77,000
miles of Ultra Vanning.  I must admit that in 2003 we did spend an
unplanned day to replace the differential (spun pinion) in Marshall, MN
(fortunately the Galli's were near by with a spare differential and
tools).  Walt Davison is usually our high time Ultra guy with about 25,000
miles a year for the past 20 years.  We currently have 20 or so members
with their 200,000 mile pins.   As a side note, I still drive my 65 Corsa
regularly.  It is a one owner with 396,000 + miles on it.
Jim Davis