<VV> re;floor patch

RKAT edbaloo at verizon.net
Tue May 31 18:34:14 EDT 2005

Like you said, if I was worried that much about safety, I would not have
purchased a 40 year old car. I guess my point is, why make them worse than
they already are? Age, rust and repairs take their toll on cars. No, I've
never tested a riveted floor panel, I'm sure if revited properly, it will
hold up fine for everyday use. And the chances of getting in an accident are
kinda slim.  When I see a floor panel held in with 8 rivits, it makes me
wonder, if done with rivets every 2 to 3 inches, may be just fine. It
absolutely could be as safe as a welded panel, I don't know. I was an ASE
Master certified tech with multiple ICAR classes under my belt, a lot of
time in classes going over uni-bodies and crash results. Not to mention the
first hand experience in repairing vehicles.  Again, my opinion. ;)

Ron Tinkham

http://www.ronsjeepjunk.4t.com/

66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp

Maine

I can't believe that anyone who is really worried about crash safety is
driving around in a 40 year old car.  The cars of today are so much safer in
so many ways  - no matter how heavy the old ones are.  If I get hit hard
enough to start crumpling floors in my convertible with or without welded in
floor panels I'm in  world of hurt.  Panels that are properly riveted and
with structural adhesive can't be that much weeker than welded in panels.  I
suppose it's OK to try to maximize your car's ability to stay intact in an
accident but if safety is your main concern you should be in a different
vehicle.

In my opinion.

mike