<VV> Re: re;floor patch

mr. Gary Segal mr.garysegal at verizon.net
Tue May 31 22:26:20 EDT 2005

Sorry to stir up so much controversy with suggestions on best ways to rivet
a floor.  From my perspective, I have not studied the relative strength of
welds versus rivets, but I can make some judgement based upon the obvious:
1.  The new floor panels are thicker than the originals and certainly
thicker than the floor being replaced, so you should automatically be better
off than pre-repair.
2.  Given a direct hit, the body will give at the weakest point.  It could
be the rivets, but more likely it will be whatever is left of the original
floor.
3.  Unless hit by a speeding tricycle, the force of a side impact will be
taken by the unreinforced side door, which will buckle pretty fast.
4.  When my 63 convertible slowly rusted in half (yes accelerating in first
gear flexed the body enough to yank it out of gear), the rivets held strong
when surrounded by significant body flexure.

So - if you want to be truly safe, I agree - don't drive a 40 year old car.
Personally, I think the risk of the non-collapsible steering column is far
greater than any risk generated by properly riveted floors.

Gary