<VV> Air compressor distribution lines

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Nov 1 13:18:53 EST 2005

At 03:40 hours 10/31/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>All right!  you've convinced me!
>
>PVC    cut to length with one stroke of a PVC  shear.......glue with REDHOT
>and in 45 minutes you're done.....  40 outlets...16 traps.......4
>coalessers........20 drains....
>
>Some folks like to spend time & $$$......for peace of mind??????
>
>Anyone ever seen PVC  rupture???     I thought so...........gggggg

For what it's worth, there is some new stuff available that's cheap,
strong, NOT brittle, and able to withstand a lot of pressure.   I
tried a trick or two, smacked a piece with a hammer and it didn't
shatter, it simply flattened and creased like Lexan.   If you cut it
with a "scissors" type cutter, it tends to flatten slightly.   It's
fairly ductile stuff.  The contractor guy told me that if it fails
from excessive pressure, it splits lengthwise with a "fish mouth"
rupture instead of shattering although he also said that it more
likely would blow out a coupling before the pipe would rupture seeing
as how it would "probably withstand 600 lbs or more before it would
actually split", whereupon I bet it would whiplash the hell out of
anything close by unless it was securely anchored to the
building.    If someone really wanted to plumb air lines with
plastic, this stuff sounds like a prospect, and it's cheaper than copper.

I know nothing about it other than seeing a piece of it (and smacking
it with the hammer), tan/beige colored stuff, reminds me of hard
vinyl and seems to act like the black plastic flexible water piping I
see running underground, the stuff that almost nothing will stick to,
although this beige stuff glues together with PVC cement.

Anybody "in the business" know anything about this stuff, whatever it
is...?     All I know is that the contractor guy sold me some of it
and my nephew (works for another home construction contractor)
installed about 40 feet of it to replace some of the remaining
(rusting-dripping) black iron pipe carrying water through my house
and he liked it, said it was good stuff.

I'm not likely to plumb my compressor with the stuff, just thought
I'd mention it.   I simply drag long air hoses everywhere.

tony..