<VV> PVC blowout

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 11:59:30 EST 2005

Some folks like to spend time & $$$......for peace of mind??????

Anyone ever seen PVC rupture??? I thought so...........gggggg

Yes.  I wasn't there for most of the events, just the aftermath. 1) One guy was moving a ladder and bumped a line under pressure. It blew out. 2) Another blew out when the mechanic imparted a little twist to the pipe near an elbow while plugging in the quick disconnect. It shattered, 200 stitches. 3) I worked with a mechanic of 35 years who's face was peppered with shards from a blown PVC pipe with 120 psi on the line. 4) I've broken various components of a PVC manifold I made for my sprinkler system at least once a year for the past six years. 5)  I've broken hand-fitted 1 1/2" and 2" PVC pipe while taking it apart. I'm surprised how little stress it took to destroy it WITHOUT the additional stress of pressure.

That's just the ones I've been close to, without mentioning everything I've read and heard.

OSHA says PVC is dangerous as it just isn't designed for this application. I subscribe to every woodworking magazine and every discussion of air systems warns against PVC. I'm a life member of the Handyman Club of America and the club's advisors have all come out against using what you can commonly buy as PVC for air systems.

You want to use plastic? Buy the same materials as are designed for the application--I'll bet a paycheck it ISN'T off-the-shelf water pipe.

Peace of mind? I don't drive without insurance, I wouldn't dream of letting my homeowner's lapse, I don't quit my job without a safety net, and I don't stick my body in dangerous places just because I can. I already said I'm a woodworker--notice my fingers never leave my hand. I don't turn on a machine without eye protection.

Spend a few bucks to stay in one piece? That isn't peace of mind. That's just smart.

Want to take a chance and injure yourself, go ahead. Just don't injure someone else.

Chuck Kubin