<VV> Air compressor distribution lines - NO Corvair

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 14:52:04 EST 2005

In a message dated 10/31/2005 3:41:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
UltraMonzaWest at aol.com writes:

Anyone  ever seen PVC  rupture???     I thought  so...........gggggg

Yes.

Honeywell did tests with PVC for compressed air in the early 70s.

It failed to make the grade.

We were shown the results at classes  in Minneapolis that I attended in 1974.

I suspect PVC is PVC. In 1974 and 2005.

I think I can assemble copper in about 150% of the time you can assemble  PVC
and
feel comfortable that I can work around it at 150 PSI in safety.

The only thing I've piped in PVC in the past few years beside sprinklers
(lawn type) are drains,
Deionized water and some chemicals (under low pressure) that react with all
metals except,
perhaps, stainless steel. Prior to PVC we used Pyrex glass for some drains
for chemicals.
PVC is much better and a lot more durable.

There are better plastics around... Enfield, CPVC and some others but no  one
uses them
for very high pressure with the exception of lawn sprinklers. Most of which
are not under pressure all the time and considering the sprinkler zones have
open heads the actual
pressure is less that the supply.

I use copper or iron to the zone valves and PCV after. So far no failures  at
Rancho Abney.
I acre of rose gardens, fruit trees and one tiny little lawn.

Tim Abney
IECC