<VV> Air compressor distribution lines

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 14:41:50 EST 2005

In a message dated 10/31/2005 3:18:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lclarkpdx at gmail.com writes:

As  another pipe fitter (but who has since changed careers), I find that I
need  to "pipe in". John stated that schedule 40 is schedule 40 regardless of
the  material. That is true, but schedule 40 does not give you the strength
of  the pipe, it is merely the wall thickness of the pipe. Schedule 40 PVC  is
NOT as strong as Schedule 40 iron.

Absolutely correct.

DON"T use PVC for compressed air unless it very low pressure (we use it for
20 PSI control
air pressure in commercial HVAC)

We also use poly tubing for this.... I've seen that stuff hold lots of
pressure.

I've also seen it (PVC) blow up sending shrapnel like pieces. It was
experimented with back
in the 70s for these applications. It failed the over 100 PSI applications,
particularly if exposed
to sunlight.

Tim Abney
IECC