Using 2 Big Injectors Re: <VV> Turbo Odyssey Part 28 -- Happily Ever After

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 18:52:02 EST 2005

In a message dated 10/31/05 12:21:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
deltainc at grm.net writes:

> I still have the big 85 lb injectors, I am
> thinking of hooking them up to my Megasquirt box and see whot happens ...
> gee, two injectors ... that would one on each intake manifold, right ??
> sound familiar ... maybe mount the injectors right on your existing chrome
> feeder tube near the manifolds, and use the good old YH as an air valve ...
> still look "sorta" stock ....  and those 85 lb injectors would be just right
> for 250 horses ... or a little much for the 180 real horses I might actually
> get ...

Ken,
       Sounds like you've got a good idea using the 2 big injectors on the
existing chrome pipes into the heads of the 180.  However, I think it might be
better to have them positioned at the 90 degree bend so as to "inject" fuel
DOWNWARD into the air flow with the injector bodies set up to intrude as little
as possible into blocking the air stream.  Since the small venturi of the stock
YH is a real impediment to air flow, you might be better off using a more
recent throttle body with a TPS on the throttle shaft.  Can your MegaSquirt take
advantage of the potentiometer TPS on the throttle shaft to signal just how
FAST the throttle is being opened?
       If you add water injection (or an intercooler) you can probably flow
enough air to reach the 250 hp level with 2 x 85 lbs/hr of fuel flow even using
the stock turbo.  Sounds like a good place to start without spending lots of
$$$ on head work.  Since the MegaSquirt is a 2 bank firing system, you can
even modify it to use ONE bank to fire BOTH (or all) gasoline injectors at once
and use the SECOND bank to fire WATER injectors following a separate and
independent "map".  This gives you much of the capability of the expensive British
computer controlled water injection Aquamist system.
       Frank "full of wild ideas" Burkhard