Using 2 Big Injectors Re: <VV> Turbo Odyssey Part 28 -- Happily Ever After

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Wed Nov 2 13:27:03 EST 2005

Subject: Using 2 Big Injectors Re: <VV> Turbo Odyssey Part 28 -- Happily
Ever After

> In a message dated 10/31/05 12:21:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> deltainc at grm.net writes:
>
> > I still have the big 85 lb injectors, I am
> > thinking of hooking them up to my Megasquirt box and see whot happens
> > gee, two injectors ... that would one on each intake manifold, right ??
> Ken,
>        Sounds like you've got a good idea using the 2 big injectors on the
> existing chrome pipes into the heads of the 180.  However, I think it
might be
> better to have them positioned at the 90 degree bend so as to "inject"
fuel
> DOWNWARD into the air flow with the injector bodies set up to intrude as
little
> as possible into blocking the air stream.  Since the small venturi of the
stock
> YH is a real impediment to air flow, you might be better off using a more
> recent throttle body with a TPS on the throttle shaft.  Can your
MegaSquirt take
> advantage of the potentiometer TPS on the throttle shaft to signal just
how
> FAST the throttle is being opened?
>        If you add water injection (or an intercooler) you can probably
flow
> enough air to reach the 250 hp level with 2 x 85 lbs/hr of fuel flow even
using
> the stock turbo.  Sounds like a good place to start without spending lots
of
> $$$ on head work.  Since the MegaSquirt is a 2 bank firing system, you can
> even modify it to use ONE bank to fire BOTH (or all) gasoline injectors at
once
> and use the SECOND bank to fire WATER injectors following a separate and
> independent "map".  This gives you much of the capability of the expensive
British
> computer controlled water injection Aquamist system.
>        Frank "full of wild ideas" Burkhard
****
Thanks for the encouragement .. mi plan es su plan ...   I believe the
megasquirt will allow the rate of opening of the TPS to affect the squirt(s)
..... and I intend to use water injection on the 2nd bank control section
... the 85 lb injectors are on ebay all the time; one thing I have to learn
is if it would be better to fire 2 40 lb injectors in parallel ( on each
intake ) for the fuel ... the Projection big mammas on my housekeeper's
SSNova tends to have a nasal drip at idle/or/shutdown and causes what
appears to be a mild flood condition on hot restart .  ( If you give it WO
throttle at startup it will quickly clear the mild flood ).

Trivia:  I believe the large Holley injectors are low impedance, so anyone
playing with these be aware .. they could overload the outputs of the
Megasquirt I if you don[t put in serial resistors.  No big deal unless you
don[t do it.  also, I could be wrong, I need to clear some of the mystery up
... ie, I dont even know what I don[t know yet about Megasquirt, but so far
it looks just like I think it should,  .... and maybe better for corvairs
than Megasquirt II which is out and available.

reargards, ken campell, iowa