Ethanol/Gasoline Re: <VV> Price of Gasoline Contest

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 18:52:17 EST 2005

Ken,
       By "gasahol" do you mean E-85?  Or E-10?  If you mean E-85, which has
about 2/3 of the heating value of straight gasoline, then the equivalent price
of gasoline would be $2.03 divided by 2/3 = $3.04.  That's still more than
what we are now paying for gasoline in the North NJ area which is about $2.50
per gallon.  But we were paying over $3 per gallon a few weeks ago.
       So the miles per gallon will usually be LESS with E-85 than with
straight gasoline, unless you can raise the compression ratio to take advantage of
the much higher octane rating of E-85.  On their planned "flex-fuel" turbo
car, Saab raises the boost level substantially when the computer detects that
E-85 is being fed to the engine.
       In their current TV advertising, Ford says that they will produce
around "a quarter of a million" flex-fuel vehicles for 2006.  Hopefully these
won't be all trucks and fleet vehicles.  Or will Ford send most of them to Brazil?
       Unfortunately, here in the Northeast we have NO stations selling E-85.
       Frank "prefers subsidizing ADM rather than Saudi Royalty" Burkhard