<VV> Air compressor distribution lines

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 1 21:13:10 EST 2005

Group:

Mapp, propane, propylene, chemelene, yukon 96, FG2 and all LPG type fuels burn with an oxidizing flame. The combustion ratio is 3.5 to 4.0 parts oxygen to one part fuel gas. All are heavier than air. You can braze with them and many people do.

Acetylene set to a neutral flame burns at 1.4 parts oxygen to one part acetylene and is more easily set to a carburizing (reducing condition).

For brazing, acetylene is king as when the flame is set correctly, there is a much lower chance of oxidizing the base metal. When oxide forms (such as copper oxide) it typically melts at a much higher temperature than the braze alloy which makes it difficult for the braze/solder material to bond effectively with the substrate.

Acetylene is also lighter than air, so it floats away if there is a leak (this is why telephone repair crews use it in manholes) - as there is no chance of displacing oxygen causing death.

There is a big potential problem when working in a confined space with a fuel gas that is heavier than air.

Be safe, be informed!

I have a paper on fuel gases if you want a copy, just e mail me off list and I will forward it.

Regards, Garth