<VV> Re: Air compressor distribution lines - NO Corvair

Mark J. Murphy m.j.murphy at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 10:05:52 EST 2005

It all depends.  First we have to assume you mean solid core PVC pressure
pipe (water pipe) as opposed to cellular core (which is for drainage and
plainly stamped "NOT FOR PRESSURE" although it carries the "SCH 40"
designation).  Pressure rating varies with size and temperature, but at 73
deg F they go like this:  1/2" - 640 PSI, 1" - 450 PSI, 1 1/2" - 330 PSI,
down to 160 or so on 8".  Of course, at least one manufacturer (Cresline)
does plainly state in their literature "Pressure rating is the maximum
pressure that water as the medium in the pipe can exert continuously for a
long time with a high degree of certainty that failure of the pipe will not
occur.  Do not use plastic pipe and fittings for compressed air".  Before
buying the stock to do the job, check out some of the information found at
http://www.cresline-northwest.com/cresline_proddata.html
      ,-----___\----,    Mark Murphy
      \--(o)----(o)--'  Derry, NH, USA
    http://m.j.murphy.home.comcast.net/