<VV> Headlamp switches

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Nov 2 10:43:29 EST 2005

Just found my set of Delco-Remy Application Guides and apparently there
were considerably more than two switches used. Here is what I found:

Headlight switch
1960 -1963 		1995099
1963 Canada		1995096
1964 exc Spyder 	1995123
	Spyder		1995122
1965-66 exc Corsa	1995123 also Canada exc 107
	Corsa		1995122 also Canada 107
1967			1995147
1968-69		1995163

So apparently the only original switch designed for the additional load of
side marker lights was the 1995163 which is NLA and the 122/123 were only
"correct" for 64-67. By 1973 all were serviced by just two numbers, 1995096
for 1960-63 and 1995179 for 1964-69.

Some have postulated that the difference between the Corsa and the
non-Corsa was the number of instrument panel lights. This is entirely
possiblle, saving a penny on a million parts made an engineer a hero in the
'60s. The only difference between the PF-23 and PF-24 oil filters was that
the -23 was designed for vertical installation only, it had no
anti-drainback flapper like the -24 which was designed for horizontal
installation. For service, the -24 was used for all.

Speaking of Instrument panel lights, the manual shows three different ones
- 3 cp 1816 for gauge illumination and 2 cp 1895 for warning. and a 1 cp
1445 for the heater switch.

So far I have not come across any 1816s even where I suspect original on my
65 Corsa and 66 Monza and in a 67 panel those were all filled by  slightly
dimmer 1895s (if the gauges seem dim, there you are). Was this a running
change ?

Frankly I have not figured out why the Corsa would have a different panel
requirement than a Monza. If the Monza has the optional clock, and the
clock used two bulbs (have never seen one for a Monza so do not know) both
have six bulbs.

Only real changes were when
1) The parking lamps in the front stayed on with the headlamps (1967 - 1995147)
2) The side marker lights were added (1968 - 1995163)

So if "one p/n fits all" for 1964-69 I suspect the front parking lights
will be on with the headlamps which is really only correct for 1967-69..

Padgett