<VV> Headlamp switches

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Wed Nov 2 11:45:41 EST 2005

Padgett, thanks for looking in the Delco books. A couple of
questions/comments:

>So apparently the only original switch designed for the additional load of
>side marker lights was the 1995163 which is NLA and the 122/123 were only
>"correct" for 64-67. By 1973 all were serviced by just two numbers, 1995096

>for 1960-63 and 1995179 for 1964-69.

For -122/-123, you mean '64-'66, not '64-'67, right? Given that you listed a
new part number for '67.

>Some have postulated that the difference between the Corsa and the
>non-Corsa was the number of instrument panel lights. This is entirely
>possiblle, saving a penny on a million parts made an engineer a hero in the

>'60s. The only difference between the PF-23 and PF-24 oil filters was that
>the -23 was designed for vertical installation only, it had no
>anti-drainback flapper like the -24 which was designed for horizontal
>installation. For service, the -24 was used for all.

Could you say more on how having both a -122 and -123 could have saved
money? It seems to me that the cost of tooling up for two switches, keeping
them in inventory, etc. would be more expensive, not less. Especially in
this case, where it seems like the internal differences would not be a case
of one switch having a component and the other lacking it (as in your oil
filter example) but rather different "tunings" for different electrical
loads.

Could this be a case of the Styling department having authority over
everything, including common sense? Maybe they specified how bright they
wanted the lights and the engineers had to comply. I have heard rumors about
this being the reason why there were so many different coil springs--Styling
specified a certain ride height and engineering had to comply given
different weights due to different options.

>So if "one p/n fits all" for 1964-69 I suspect the front parking lights
>will be on with the headlamps which is really only correct for 1967-69..

That's an interesting point. I don't think I have ever installed a repro
switch. Can someone help with this question?

--Kent