<VV> pvc/pressure

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Wed Nov 2 11:41:00 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/2/2005 8:33:13 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Bonnzz at aol.com writes:

hey  gang,
I install acoustical (drop) ceilings in commercial bldgs in south  Florida.
For over 10 years  many condos are adding sprinkler systems  to meet current
fire
codes. Many use an orange pvc  (normaly 2-2.5  inches in diameter) which they
test with nitrogen gas under very high  pressure. I think the water pressure
is
around 100 lbs or more when  activated.
Mar
Kinnan   bonnzz at aol.com

Testing piping systems (any material) with compressed air or gas is a  common
and
accepted practice in the trade.

Nitrogen is used because a lot of systems require the test gas be  inert.

But the service of the system you mentioned is WATER. In fact they require
that the system
be flushed thoroughly with water after testing to assure that the gases are
reduced to as
little as possible. Certainly no large volumes of gases anywhere.

Been there, done that.

Call your local gas company and ask them about using PVC for a gas line at
1/2 PSI. They do use plastic lines (not PVC) Buried underground only. They
spent  a long time in research
and developement.

When it ruptures it does NOT shatter like PVC.

Tim Abney
IECC