<VV> Re: Air compressor distribution lines - NO Corvair

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Nov 3 14:55:40 EST 2005

At 08:29 hours 11/03/2005, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>Proof that you can find anything that you want
>on the internet, including bad information:
>
><http://www.machinedesign.com/BDE/FLUID/bdefp1/bdefp1_3.html>
>
>"Plastic tubing is made from four basic
>materials: PVC, polyethylene, nylon, and PTFE.
>PVC can be used for pneumatic lines at pressures
>to 125 psi with continuous temperatures to
>100°F. It can be used with compression tube
>fittings designed for plastic tubing and has
>excellent abrasion resistance, but loses flexibility below 30°F."

Then again, nobody said that it was actually safe
to do so...  sure, if you wanna run the stuff
underground or through concrete walls or the
like, or it's in places where it won't be exposed
to "adverse environmental conditions" or living
things that would take exception to being
perforated by shards of shattered tubing.

Somebody is likely sooner or later to come up
with a material for plumbing air that behaves
something like maybe Lexan or the like, which
simply refuses to shatter or splinter, which may
well make good air line material (to a point) but
to date it's not happened just yet, at least nothing I know of.

If I ran lines like this, they'd be soldered
copper, cheap enough and easy to work with and
once it's there it's there and done.    Might do
it yet, currently  still simply dragging hoses around.

tony..