<VV> Groaning, Backfiring, Loss of Power

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 3 16:45:44 EST 2005

For the most part, it does sound like crud in the gas.  Next time you loose
power (probably running on only 3 cylinders), pull to a safe spot, take off
the air cleaner and use the accelerator in the engine bay with one hand
while cupping the other hand over the carbs (one at a time).  You may want
to do this 3 or 4 times on each.  This "should" clear any crud out of the
carbs and you should be back on your way under full power.

The long term solution, of course, is to drop the tank, clean and reseal it.

Note - you may have blown the "sock" strainer off inside the tank with the
air compressor.  Have a new one on hand when you drop the tank.  Are you now
seeing even more crud in your in line filter?  That would be an indicator
that the sock is off.

There MAY be other issues as well, but I'd look here first.  Well, you could
swap in a "known good" coil to see what happens, but I think that may be
only part (if any) of your problem.

Throw out bearing... are you sure it is not pilot bushing?

Later, JR