<VV> Caveman batteries

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Thu Nov 3 23:19:15 EST 2005

To add to Padgett's information:

As I reported in my presentation on original batteries at the Stock Corvair
Group meeting at the convention this year, the 456 (dry) / 457 (wet) battery
was the standard battery from the beginning of production in 1959 through
May 7, 1961. During that period the 556/557 was available as RPO 345. The
457 had 7 plates per cell and the 557 had 9.

Apparently the 457 was not up to the task for enough areas of the country
that it was replaced by the 557 beginning on May 8, 1961. for the rest of
early model production, no optional battery was offered.

I would love to get my hands on a 456/457 battery, used or new. If you have
one, please let me know! Same for a 1965 554/555 (no bottom clamping trough)
and a 1966 554/555.

--Kent