<VV> Lifters too, part two:

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Sat Nov 5 22:07:46 EST 2005

Last Saturday, about this same time, I posted a question about lifters not
going all the way into the case.  Mine were stopping hard before the end
ever cleared the bore in the case.  Several of you weighed in with differing
opinions and suggestions, including force them in, hone the bore, and crack
the halves.

Well, today I cracked the halves.  The thought of running a hone, even a 600
grit one just didn't sit well with me.  I still cannot say for certain what
caused the problem, but there was a definite lip inside 11 of the 12 bores.
I suspect that someone may have used a hammer to drive the old ones out.
This engine was in pieces when I got it, so I can only speculate.  A quick
pass with #220 wet/dry took the lip off, and #600 w/d cleaned the bores
nicely.  All lifters are happily rubbing against the cam lobes now, and the
engine is going back together again.

I just want to say a word of thanks to all of you.  Most of you will never
know how much I appreciate your posts and your sharing your experiences with
the rest of us.  It's a great hobby, keep up the good work.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
66 Monza Cpe.
140/4 sp