<VV>65-66 maybe 64 Steering wheel hub

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Nov 6 23:17:07 EST 2005

While I was able to locate an original aftermarket hub for my 66 Monza, you
never know when you might need another. The problem is that unless you are
lucky enough to find a NOS adapter the only alternative is a $41.05 (2005
catalog) kit from Clark's (who is to be commended for keeping it available
at all).

However the only part different from any other similar Grant kit is the hub
which has a smaller spline than the much more common GM hub of the
period.  Some time ago Warren mentioned that it was possible to extract the
hub from a junk 65-66 standard steering wheel. While this is possible, it
is not a trivial effort since the spokes contain steel rods which are
welded to the hub.

First it is necessary to remove the rubber encapsulant. Next the rods must
be cut off. I did this with a 4.5" air cut off tool in two stages - first I
cut the spokes near the hub and removed the rubber which left this:
http://padgett.ws/files/65center.jpg (use eye protection and a mask and
proper tool handling as the grit that comes off is very fine)

Next the cut off tool is used to remove the welded portion of the rods.
This does not need to be pretty, just painted when done to prevent rust
since the hub cover from any period GM kit hides the hub.

Note the three holes in a triangle. These match the three screw holes on a
Grant wheel and just need to be drilled and tapped for the three bolts
(1/4-28 AFAIR - someone please verify))  that retain the wheel (can slip if
just the center nut is used) and horn ring. These must leave the last 1/4"
of the three holes on the side with the spline as they are since the
plastic turn signal canceller snaps into the bottom. The hub is 3/4" thick
so there is sufficient meat to do this. Large hole near top is for horn
circuit pass through. Two existing 1/4 holes are for a wheel puller.

Got as far as the picture tonight plus removed one of the rods (takes a
while as is welded to the hub) so should have a usable hub shortly.

Of course the easy answer is to send the money to Clark's but if you are
willing to trade time for money and have access to a junk 65-66 wheel (I
would not use a good one for this) there is an alternative.

Padgett

ps if someone knows a better way to do this, chime in please, removing the
rubber is quite a chore.