<VV> deflashing theory

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Nov 7 13:49:06 EST 2005

When the shock of seeing those partially plugged air passageways in the heads
wears off, we are usually anxious to OPEN THOSE SLOTS UP. And for good
reason. More air flowing over those fins does cool better.

But please don't use the "hot-rodders" motto. You know: if some is good, then
more is better and too much is just right.

Why not? isn't it better to open those passageways up as much as humanly
possible. Isn't it true, that the more airflow, the better?

Well there is a limit...really. Air passing over those head fins must be in
contact long enough to remove the heat therein. In other words we want to
maximize the temperature increase of the air passing over these heads. If the air
passes too quickly, or there is too much air, then insufficient heat is
extracted from the heads. So more isn't necessarily better.

So my suggestion would be: remove the flash. That is remove the aluminum that
isn't supposed to be there. You can see it when you look closely. But please
don't start hogging out the air passageways and enlarging everything. Also
don't make openings where there are none. If you will note carefully, the typical
passageway narrows-down from the fins on top to the center of the head. This
narrowing is a design feature in my opinion, and not something to be removed.

Regards,
Bob Helt