<VV> 64 horn and shroud questions

John Headley robedinpurple at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 16:49:30 EST 2005

OK, had the day off from work today and tackled a few
projects on the vert while the weather is still
cooperating (60 degrees!).

I took apart the steering column and fixed my
sticking, sometimes nonfunctional directional switch
by replacing the switch and the cable from the top.
This went pretty well, and it is all back together and
working.  However, I can't seem to figure out how my
horn parts go back together so that the horn button
has "spring" to it.  I made a web page of my parts:

http://www.geocities.com/robedinpurple/horn.html

I can't find a picture in the shop manual, assembly
manual, Clark's catalog, or How to Keep Your Corvair
alive that shows all these parts.  I assume the
plastic part goes in first, then the metal one, then
the horn ring, with the 3 screws into the plastic
piece on top last.  But then there is no "springy"
push on the horn button.  What am I doing wrong?  I
had to move the lower parts up the steering column to
do the other part of the job, is this somehow messing
me up (I did put it back as close as I could figure).

Also, I am installing long lost heater parts on my
car.  What is the recommended method of installing
lower shrouds and thermostats?  I can't figure out how
I'm going to get that thermostat clipped up and the
shrouds in place at one time.

Thanks,
John Headley
64 monza convert