<VV> Lifters, Part 2

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Mon Nov 7 18:02:07 EST 2005

Last Saturday, I posted a question about lifters not going all the way into
the case.  Mine were stopping hard before the end ever cleared the bore in
the case.  Several of you weighed in with differing opinions and
suggestions, including force them in, hone the bore, and crack the halves.

Well, this past Saturday, I cracked the halves.  The thought of running a
hone, even a 600 grit one just didn't sit well with me.  I still cannot say
for certain what caused the problem, but there was a definite lip inside 11
of the 12 bores.  I suspect that someone may have used a hammer to drive the
old ones out.  This engine was in pieces when I got it, so I can only
speculate.  A quick pass with #220 wet/dry took the lip off, and #600 w/d
cleaned the bores nicely.  All lifters are happily rubbing against the cam
lobes now, and the engine is going back together again.

I just want to say a word of thanks to all of you.  Most of you will never
know how much I appreciate your posts and your sharing your experiences with
the rest of us.  It's a great hobby, keep up the good work.

Cliff Tibbitts

Lexington, KY

66 Monza Cpe.

140/4 sp