<VV>65-66 maybe 64 Steering wheel hub part III

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Nov 7 18:15:13 EST 2005

>I wonder if you could drill holes in the steering wheel to accommodate the
>existing pattern in the GM hub?

Probably but the existing holes are 10-32, not 1/4-28 as required for the
horn mount and for securing the wheel

>What would happen if the horn recess was on the left of the upper locating
>hole instead of the right? The three holes for mounting the steering wheel
>may line up better.

Might work. Holes do line up in three positions (are triangular).

>For that matter what does it matter where the horn recess or centering
>mark is? The only thing that should matter is if the mounting holes for
>the steering wheel match.

Depends on whether you want the turn signal canceller (snaps into the back
of the hub) to work properly. Part of the concern is so that all of the
other pieces included in a steering wheel adapter kit will would properly
to minimise other fabrication.  Since the three holes must be drilled out
and tapped anyway, it is almost as easy to put them in the right place.
Could then make them through holes and tap all of the way.

Obviously since the wheel turns full circle, it does not matter where the
horn pass-through is located but then an additional hole will be needed
either in the wheel (and any subsequent wheel) or the hub. I just think it
easier overall to keep the factory orientation and add the three new 1/4-28
holes.

Am going to need another adapter anyway since the target wheel has no
center and is made to utilize some long-lost column. Has anyone ever seen a
wheel like this (picked up at a swap meet years ago) ? 14.75" Diameter and
no discernable markings. Note the odd seven screw mount. Is similar to the
prototype-never-seen-in-production wheel shown in early advertisements of
the 69 Firebird Trans Am. The production "Formula" wheel which appeared in
1970 has six screws, no dish (this wheel has about a 1" dish), and a 2 3/4"
center hole (this one measures 2 1/4" and is probably for a non-keylock
column). Adapter I am working on is in the center.
http://padgett.ws/files/wheel.jpg

Padgett