Fwd: <VV> backfiring out carbs and exhaust (long)

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Nov 8 14:50:00 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/7/2005 5:06:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
keith.hammett at stainlessfab.com writes:

> Let the engine warm up (medium rpm) and
> it smoothed out for a really short time, then it started backfiring
> through the carbs and exhaust.  I also rebuilt the carbs (first time for
> that as well) and do not suspect them to be the cause.

Keith,  I'm coming in late on this, but the same thing happened to me the
first time I adjusted the valves "by the book" using one full turn down.  3/4
turn is the correct way for cold adjustment and I have now written it into my
manuals.  Hot adjustment can be problematic though many swear by it.  I would
readjust your valves without the engine running by the book again but turn the
adjustment down just 3/4's of a turn.  You haven't bent any push rods have you?

Bob Hall
Group Corvair