<VV> FC Exhaust question and thank you for bolt info

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Tue Nov 8 17:13:29 EST 2005

2 items today!

1 - thanks to all who advised me of bolt sizes on
shrouds for my 64.  I have installed LM heads with
coffee can spacers and have managed to get the sheet
metal to go back together (I didnt loase any
pieces!!!!)  I did buy some bags of bolts from vendors
and that helped a lot.

2 - The muffler that was on this unit was not even
close to original size/shape and it was discarded 3
years ago.  Ill get one from the vendors, but my
question is this:  Is the tail pipe supposed to blow
straight out the back or should it curve downward?

My concern is that a straight out shot will let the
fumes get caught in the vortex behind the vehicle and
get sucked back into the air intakes and thus the
heater.

Or perhaps pointing the flow downward will do that and
straight out will be no problem.

What is the experience of you FC Owners out there? I
havent owned one in at least 20 years and I barely
remember anything about it.

Interestingly, the old muffler was oval and had a long
pipe on the end, which I know was wrong, but the
cross-over appears to be an NOS piece with surface
rust but no soft spots.  It had one of the little
packing extensions in one side, but not the other.  I
got a couple of new ones, so now its just down to
which tail pipe I want to install.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX