<VV> FC Exhaust question

Vairtec at optonline.net Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Nov 8 18:01:50 EST 2005

At 05:13 PM 11/8/05, EVERETT WILSON wrote:

>Is the tail pipe supposed to blow straight out the back or should it curve
>downward?

On an FC, the tailpipe originally exited straight out the rear of the
vehicle, although the original tailpipe did have a slight downward dip at
the end.

On the "one-side-fits-all" replacement tailpipes that have existed since
the 70s, which are shaped like a tubular letter "L," the installations
instructions were to put the short leg of the L into the muffler and aim
the long leg to the side on 1961-69 cars, and to put the long leg of the L
into the muffler on FCs and aim the short leg down and to the right.  I
never liked this, and I have rummaged through the tailpipe selection at the
FLAPS to find tailpipes closer in shape to the FC original.

>My concern is that a straight out shot will let the fumes get caught in
>the vortex behind the vehicle and get sucked back into the air intakes and
>thus the heater.

Your concern is correct in theory but wrong in this specific
application.  On 1961-69 cars, the tailpipe exits to the side for just the
reason you surmise.  But on FCs and wagons, the tailpipe exits to the rear
because the cooling air intakes are on the sides of these vehicles.

On 1960 cars, the tailpipe exits to the rear because there is no direct-air
heater.

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net