<VV> Saturn Sky a Parade & Corvair College Days

sarahvair at juno.com sarahvair at juno.com
Sat Nov 12 18:14:54 EST 2005

We got a call from Rick's nephew the GM of our local Saturn dealer.  One of the 6 Sky convertibles in existence at this point, was to be at the dealership today.  So our day started off with a trip over there to check it out.  Man, is the car BAD!!!!  Very stylish, and you can tell it will be a hit especially with a price tag of mid 20's.  Yes, for now it is only a 4 cylinder, but rumor has it they will be putting the super charger the ION has in it in the next year or so.  There will only be 10,000 Sky's available next year for sale.  If today is any indication of what the public thinks, this car will be a huge seller.  I tried to get them to open the hood, but the two gentleman who brought it from Detroit claimed they didn't know where the latch was.
Today Central Florida Corvairs was invited to participate in a Veteran's day Parade.  Our club put the finishing touches on our club race car and it had it's first showing last weekend in St. Augustine, FL.   So today it led the rest of our club in the parade.  We had a great time and generated a lot if interest.
After a quick stop for lunch, we headed off to Edgewater, FL, where William Wynn of flycorvair.com, was hosting a 3 day event for airplane enthusiasts from all over the world.  I met one gentleman who came all the way from Hawaii.  There was someone there from Switzerland earlier, but we just missed him.
There were 9 Corvair powered airplanes still there when we arrived.  When 4 Corvairs pulled into the hanger area, all heads turned, everyone dropped what they were doing and ran out to look at our Corvairs.  We were certainly a hit and we just wished we had gotten there earlier to enjoy more of the festivities.  William had a great turn out of well over 200 people.
Ahhh...nothing like a fun filled day!!
Sarah