<VV> Trouble with idle back & PG question

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Nov 12 22:02:57 EST 2005

OK checked gas cap - is vented and car acts the same when loosened. Tried
setting idle in gear with air cleaner on. Got to idle for a while at 600
rpm in D but eventually (two or three minutes) loaded up and stalled.
Rattle occurs below 400 rpm and preceeds stall.

To set for idle in drive at 600 rpm hot (reading 240F on both
thermocouples), the idle in N is 1100 rpm which seems a bit high - why I
wanted to know what others are seeing. Advance is at 8 degrees (backed off
a bit but no real difference).

This leads to two possibilities:
1) Engine is worn out and has no power at idle (seems unlikely, pulls to 42
mph shift in low and cruise at 65 is easy). Does still have occasional
misfire but latest idle is very smooth. Am tempted to open the W8ACs up to
.045" since have electronic ignition now.
2) PG is loading engine down more than it should (rear does squat when put
in gear with e-brake set, is where having a good running PG to compare
would help a lot). Does seem to shift well, smoothly, and at proper speeds.)

Have heard of sludge in torque converter. If so and likely, how do you
clean it out ? (preferably without dropping the drivetrain).

I will find the answer but through troubleshooting and not by throwing
money at it.

Padgett