<VV> Rebuild II

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 13 18:03:45 EST 2005

	I got my engine back home Monday last after replacing a rod bearing
that went in incorrectly and putting the driver's side head back on.
When I got it home, I was faced with the task of lifting the engine out
of the Durango.  After failing to secure my brothers-in-law, my wife
remembered that the neighbor across the street owed me a favor from the
time that I helped him lift a bookcase that he had built from his
pickup bed into his house.
	He told me that he had worked on Corvairs back in the early 70's while
in the employ of a Porche repair shop.  I don't pretend to know 5% of
Corvair mechanics and or history, by memory, even though we've had
Corvairs in our family for 38 of the 45 year history of the line, I've
rebuilt my engine going on twice, and have read Tony's book front to
back.

Here are some things he said to me which I would love to hear opinions
on:

Don't reuse the cylinder head studs.  They deteriorate with age and
reuse.  Install new ones and use "head savers" which he described as an
insert in the heads in which the new studs would be secured to, or
"you'll be sorry".

He tapped with his finger on the studs of the side that does not have
the head attached, listening to the sound like a tuning fork.  He said
he could tell the condition of the stud by the resonance, or lack
thereof, of the stud.  He said that the Porche mechanics would never
reuse a stud after a tear-down.

He stated that GM licensed the design of the Corvair engine from
Porche. ( The only reference to this in Tony's book is on page 13 "But
the test cars on the road in early 1958 were mostly Porsches with
prototype drive trains.  'Mostly Porsches' may be just a euphemism
since they only looked like Porsches to the casual observer.  The
wheels and tread widths were not Porsche, and the whole rear end was
not Porsche.  Nor, for that matter was the front suspension a Porsche
suspension.")

P.S. What is the best method to separate fins on the heads that have
been mashed together.  (That way when the original mechanic purchased
it for me for rebuild #1.)

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (block together, pistons and
cylinders, and one head mounted [both now deflashed] assembled and
mounted)
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, zero rust, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper
guards, w/ 77K (and continuing to hold)
(Still in group red, light at the end of the tunnel : I