<VV> Milestone 1964 Corvair?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Nov 14 16:30:39 EST 2005

At 02:51 hours 11/13/2005, MSYVairs at aol.com wrote:
>Collectible Automobile Magazine.
>
>The most recent issue of this wonderful magazine has a story on the cars
>that were build and were the 25,000th, 50,000th, etc., etc..
>
>They highlighted many GM vehicles as these "Milestone: cars. They also
>stated that the 1,000,000 vehicle built at the Willow Run assembly
>plant was no
>there then a 1964 Monza Convertible built on March 17th, 1964.
>
>Now I know and have collected TONS of information and useless facts on the
>Corvair..BUT nowhere have I ever heard of this "special" (or could be) 1964
>Corvair!
>
>Have I just overlooked this or has this been common knowledge all  along!
>
>What do our history experts have to say about this unique  Corvair!

There was a Communique article about the Willow Run facility and the
anniversary "things" they'd done, including a special 20th
anniversary vehicle "built" in 1984 to commemorate the line's legacy
since its 1,000,000 car.   The vehicle that came off the assembly
line that day was a 1964 Corvair Monza, representing the first
1,000,000 cars built on that line.   Communique article included
photos of the Vair body going down the production line hanging from
the hooks with 1984 Vega platform "Monzas" ahead and behind it.   The
car, as I understand, was photographed and posed with dignitaries and
then went directly to the museum.

It wasn't actually "built" on the line, rather rebuilt using repro
and NOS parts, and an original body shell and other sheet metal that
evidently somebody looked long and hard for so as to get one in the
required excellent condition.    In effect, it's this '64 Monza which
is actually the last Corvair to roll off the Willow Run line (twice).

...and they still goofed and posed the car with 1963 wheelcovers on
it, when the correct '64 wheel covers were readily available at the
time, NOS.    Oh well, the car looked good in any event.

tony..