<VV> Huh?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Nov 14 16:34:36 EST 2005

At 03:56 hours 11/11/2005, Joe West wrote:
>Hi Jeff,
>
>This isn't a forum... it's an email reflector...

Yep.  For the old-timers who were doing logons before the Internet
came along, such mail lists were called "Echos".   You were working
"local" dialup networked BBS's in order to access info via networks
such as FIDO, RIME, etc.    The lists were supported by people who
would run a BBS usually based on their own home PC with access nodes
(or usually just a single node) for people to call up and logon onto
the PC hosting the BBS software.   On it are various echo e-mail
postings, uploads, etc which are accessible to whoever subscribes to
the BBS.  Some were free, some required a subscription fee, usually
not much, so as to help support the BBS via enabling the owner or
sysop to pay for the phone line and hardware upgrades along the way.

I'd wager at least one sort (maybe many) in here have run a
board...  any sysops on the list?

There used to be multitudes of bulletin board systems (bbs) almost
everywhere, supported oft-times by affiliations with networks usually
hosted by large computer systems such as universities or corporate
entities... or hard core geeks who had their own means of acquiring
major computer facilities via surplus or plain and simple genius and
do-it-yerself'ness.

I'm sure others in here besides me did the BBS thing... feel free to
sound off.   (I still have several different BBS software packages
archived away)

Frankly I liked the BBS days.   Interesting times...  unfortunately,
the Internet began to become more accessible and the boards fell out
of favor although there are still a few left here and there... many
having migrated to Usenet and/or various other Internet channels,
accessible via Telnet etc.   Some have simply advanced into the Web
as Internet domains.   In any event, time passes, things chance, but
the nets still remain, albeit in different form.

By the way...  before VV there were dozens of car forums on a variety
of BBS nets.    It's how I indirectly found my way here many years ago.

>One thing you should probably note; it is better not to vent your
>frustration at not knowing how to use something by calling people in the
>group liars in the same breath that you admit to not knowing what you are
>doing.
>
>Joe West
>Administrator
>http://www.virtualcorvairclub.com

...perhaps it's a bit more a matter of people not really meaning what
they might have posted, seeing as how it may be the result of
nonfamiliarity with "the system" and how it works, causing a lack of
understanding across the board, no pun.

I'm sure nobody had intended to call anyone a liar here.

Everybody take a breath...

tony..