<VV> Rebuild II

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Nov 14 16:36:20 EST 2005

At 06:23 hours 11/13/2005, AeroNed at aol.com wrote:
>I've heard some tall stories before but those are great.
>
>The rule of thumb in the Corvair world is do just about anything and
>everything you can to preserve the head studs. The fact that he can
>tell the  studs
>are bad by the harmonic sound by tapping on them is unbelievable,
>and I  don't
>believe it.

You *can*, in some instances, detect whether a stud has stripped the
case threads by plucking on it...  but as to determining whether a
stud itself is "defective" by ringing it remains highly suspect.

>Stephen, it's you choice, listen to your neighbor or just  about
>every other Corvair expert who actually own and drive Corvairs, and
>leave  the
>head studs alone.

Absolutely.  As mentioned earlier, never remove a Vair stud unless
it's obviously damaged or the threads in the case have pulled out and
the case needs repair.   And even then the used stud can be
reinstalled if an insert is used to repair the case threads.   Use
locktite.

>Many people think that every air cooled horizontally opposed automotive
>engine is based on either the Porsche or VW design, the rest know
>the  truth.

Word I got was that the Vair engine is based on the boxer-6 aircraft
engines that had been around a heckuva lot longer than Porsche or VW.

tony..