<VV> Re: Porsche Babble

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Mon Nov 14 15:11:30 EST 2005

To: virtualvairs at corvair.org

I have both and yes Porsche mechanics would never rebuild an engine without
replacing the head studs and timeserting the case. They have, over the years,
had real trouble with head studs.The 2.7l common in the 70's were notoriuos.
They used different alloys and such (alloy, steel, dilavar?) and even putting a

Dave Fierek

Yea, they are big on "dilavar" or what ever?  What in the crap is it anyhow?
There is no trademarked metal with that name.  Looking at all metals, expansion
is porportional (maybe inversely) with density.  The only metal I see which
sticks out as being different would be A-286.   They want something with a
higher expansion coefficent to go with the AL jugs.  The stud length is much
shorter in 911 engines, hence more of a problem than a corvair.
Maybe they make them out of A-286 barstock, but want to be able to charge $$
for them.   2.7 liter engines ran hot with the 70's emission stuff which
probably agrevated the situation.
I thought Porsche had the patent on aluminum casting technology and that was
where the Porsche/GM connection rummors of it being a Porsche design started.

Michael