Fwd: <VV> Re: Porsche/Corvair Engine Casting

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 15:22:00 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/14/2005 3:12:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mmcguire at hiwaay.net writes:

> I thought Porsche had the patent on aluminum casting technology and that
> was
> where the Porsche/GM connection rummors of it being a Porsche design
> started.

Since we're on the engine casting side now--I know of no Porsche engine
casting connection, but I believe GM did license the Renault vacuum casting system
used at Tonawanda.  It allowed the use of reusable molds for the aluminum
parts (I'm sure the cast iron parts used reusable molds as well--this was a Chevy
and not a Porsche).

Bob Hall
Group Corvair