Cadillac & Tanks RE: <VV> Re: Porsche/Corvair Engine Casting

Joel Rushworth - Morton-Clarke Victoria joelr at morton-clarke.com
Mon Nov 14 15:30:43 EST 2005

Wasn't Ed Cole working for Cadillac during the war, making rear engined, air
cooled tank motors?  Isn't that where part of the inspiration for the
Corvair came from?  I thought E.C. had originally proposed a Caddy econo-car
back in '48 or something, rear engined, called the Cadet?

And if all of the above is true, isn't most of the other Porsche/VW stuff
mostly just "expert" stories made up to try and make sense of the origins of
the Corvair because they're ignorant of E.C.'s familiarity with air-cooled,
rear engine set ups?

Regards,
Joel