Cadillac & Tanks RE: <VV> Re: Porsche/Corvair Engine Casting

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Nov 14 20:27:07 EST 2005

At 12:30 hours 11/14/2005, Joel Rushworth - Morton-Clarke Victoria wrote:
>Wasn't Ed Cole working for Cadillac during the war, making rear engined, air
>cooled tank motors?

There *were* some WW-II tanks built with Caddie V8 engines, two of
them at a time in fact.    There's one still on display at Ledward
Kaserne in Schweinfurt Germany... I passed by it daily to and from
work for three years.   This one still has it's original pair of
Caddie V8s... albeit flatheads and liquid cooled, no air cooled V8s in them.

Now:

There was also a light tank with a riveted hull made of plate steel
which saw use in the deserts etc and it had an air cooled 9 cylinder
radial engine that was swiped from aircraft service.   No Caddie
engine there.

By the way, the M-60A1 main battle tank that the Army used for so
long also has an air cooled engine, and a boxer at that, built by
Continental, has 12 cylinders and 750 hp.   When was the last time
anybody saw an air cooled 12 cylinder diesel?

>  Isn't that where part of the inspiration for the
>Corvair came from?  I thought E.C. had originally proposed a Caddy econo-car
>back in '48 or something, rear engined, called the Cadet?

There's info on the Cadet in several different publications... kinda
reminded me of a tiny German sedan that was running around in the
'60s through Europe (Thomas likely knows the one I'm talking
about)...  note that Opel resurrected the name, in a roundabout sort
of fashion.

>And if all of the above is true, isn't most of the other Porsche/VW stuff
>mostly just "expert" stories made up to try and make sense of the origins of
>the Corvair because they're ignorant of E.C.'s familiarity with air-cooled,
>rear engine set ups?

EC's original idea was a rear engined Cad, prototype was a beast with
6 wheels as I recall.   Later he took his rear engine ideas in a more
practical direction.

And, of course, everybody automatically thought that VW and Porsche
was behind everything.

tony..