<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 10, Issue 80

bub049 at comcast.net bub049 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 22:04:19 EST 2005

 From: jeffharsha at comcast.net
 Subject: Rear engined V8 'vair

 I have aquired a 215C.I . Buick aluminum block V8 which I would like to install
 in a Corvair as a true rear engine. Does anyone have any information on where
 i could obtain the pieces and parts necessary to reverse this engine's rotation?

 Jeff,

I helped a buddy build one of these in the early 70's. At the time you could buy a reverse roatation cam from Graymarine as they used the 215 aluminum V8 in a small tugboat. We made a bellhousing by using 1/2 of the 215's and 1/2 of the Vair's and thus used the Vair starter. Some details are foggy because that was a lifetime ago. But...it was lighter than the stock 140 it replaced and went like snot! Only drawback was that the Graymarine cam was pretty mild.

The car took a trophy at Chicago convention in 1974. Black CORSA with a shadowed American flag in the wind along both sides. I believe it was for best paint. Like I said, it was a long time ago.

Bob Johnston
Frostbite Falls, MN
(Snow tonight)