<VV> Re: heavy motors

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Nov 16 15:44:48 EST 2005

At 11:36 hours 11/15/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/15/05 8:52:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, tonyu at roava.net
>writes:
>

> > The M-60 engine was a boxer, not a V engine
>http://www.army-technology.com/projects/m60/
>http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/magach/M60.htm
>
>"Besides its main gun, the M60 series tanks are equipped with a 7.62mm M240
>coaxial machine gun and 12.7mm M85 antiaircraft gun. Power is provided by a
>Continental AVDS-1790-2C 750 hp V-12 engine

My error... I'd only seen one M-60 apart (we had M-551 Sheridans) and
the engine on the pallet looked to me like a boxer-12.   The fans
were off and it looked for all the world like a boxer/horizontally
opposed engine.    There was a gutted M-60 100 ft away; I assumed
this engine had come out of it.

If I was in error, I stand corrected.

>In a message dated 11/15/05 8:52:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, tonyu at roava.net
>writes:
>I talked to a motor pool guy, SFC with 20 years in,  and he said that
>an M-88 can't lift that much weight.   I hinted that I'd seen an M-60
>dangling from an M-88 boom and he said it was impossible.
>An M-60 weighs 4 tons less than an M-88 [ 57 vs 53]......We always used 2  to
>lift one M-60...and the back ends always raised uo!

Ahem...

>M88A1 HERCULES
>Manufacturer BMY Combat Systems Division United Defense
>Primary function recovery vehicle for main battle tanks
>Length 352.5in (Boom Stowed) 27.13 feet
>Width135in  At track 11.25 feet
>Height123in Boom Stowed 10.25 feet
>Ground Clearance17in
>Weight, gross, fully loaded  70 tons

(snip)

>Vehicle hoisting capability   Spade down (50,000 LB 4-Part Line) 35 tons

Thus, they overloaded the vehicle's lift capacity by about 40%.    I
*did* say it was an amazing sight and that I thought it was dangerous
as hell.   If nothing else, it was a testament to the M-88's brawn...
as well as the adventuresome nature of the crew running that
particular M-88.

Now:  Doubt me if you will but there was daylight under the tracks of
that M-60 while they wrestled it up and out of the ditch.

>Now I'm wondering about ALL  of Tony's stories!  gggg LOL!

Don't make me come down there...       ;)

tony..