<VV> Back & still idle

Wade Halsey hihal at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 16 23:46:15 EST 2005

Padgett wrote:

> Back from trip and was able to run a few more tests - engine warmed up,
> chokes open
> Stock 1966 110/PG

Here is archived info on this topic from Craig Nicol:

From: NicolCS at aol.com (NicolCS at aol.com)
Date: Thu Sep 15 13:46:58 2005
<VV> no hot idle

One thing I look for when car won't idle hot is what I call the "death
spiral" - that's where the engine is idling with a little advance to the
distributor
weights. If something happens to drag the rpm down a little, the timing
advance diminishes a bit, retarding the spark and lowering the rpm even
more thus
further diminishing the advance and so-on down into the pit of death...
(sounds like a very bad thing, eh?) The death spiral is especially common in
automatics where the idle is set a little too high and in cars with
inconsistent
carburetor closing. Check base timing (at a very low rpm), check for a worn
distributor, and check for things that might be disturbing the hot-idle.
(compression, carb linkage, vacuum leaks, carburetor settings, blow-by)