<VV> 140 hp Engines - Powerglide vs 4 speed

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Fri Nov 18 11:00:28 EST 2005

The difference between the 140-MT and the 140-PG is not just in the cam but
also in the crankshaft timing gear, which is retarded 4 degrees on all but
the very early 1965 140-PG engines.

Of course, there are other (external) changes as well, such as distributor
timing, carburetion, etc.

My whole point here was to impress upon all of you that GM obviously spent a
lot of time researching the best combination of adjustments in timing, gear
ratios, etc. to get the most out of the 140 when it was mated to a
Powerglide, but after 40 years of tinkering, many of these engines have been
mated and tuned to less than optimal conditions.  I'm not saying that GM had
the only "best possible" configuration, but rather that we need to be more
precise in our discussions when comparing different powertrain
configurations to make any sense out of the results.

Bill Hubbell