Fwd: <VV> blown electric fuses

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Nov 18 13:12:44 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/17/2005 1:51:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hmlinc at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Here is the background.  the car is a 66 corsa coupe.  If I have a fuse in
> the dome light slot everything on that circuit works fine.  If I have a fuse
>
> in the dash panel light slot, the dash lights work fine.  If I have a fuse
> in both of them, when the dome light comes on the dash light fuse burns out
> quickly, even when it is a 15 amp and not a 3 amp.  I don't understand how
> the two could be connected in any way.... Any ideas on what is happening?
> Doug Barneck

Doug,  Have you checked the fuse block for rusty or damaged wiring.  I had a
very rusty '66 Convertible that gave me similar problems.  The fuses would
fail from overheating at the cap--not too much current.  The fuse clips (metal
clips) were very rusty and the resistance heated the fuses up to the point that
the interior solder connection failed--not the middle of the link.  Another
car had damaged wiring on the back side of the fuse block that allowed current
to flow where it shouldn't.

And by the way, the infamous LM dash ground strap causes all kinds of
problems with the dash lights if it doesn't make a clean connection to the dash
frame--the current will find a way to other grounds.  That's the bottom dash screw
to the right of the steering column.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair