<VV> Re: Spark gaps, how they work

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Nov 21 07:58:54 EST 2005

After some private replies asking for more explanation I'll try somemore
bad writing:

The first time I heard of the spark gap test I thought it was bogus.
But, it really works on point style ignition. The theory should also
work on electronic ignition, but the voltages are already higher, so
probability of damage to ignition components or personal injury is much
greater. An HEI system nornally fires through .060" gap and hurts when
it finds you. With a .250" gap or greater, it will find you with
shocking resulys. A good working  points ignition system can fire a 1/2"
gap with a blue spark. The color and length of spark is a good indicator
of voltage available. This would be a typical old school ignition test
at cranking speed for no- start troubleshooting.  Jim  Burkhard had a
good explanation in a later VV message. The coil is the generator of
spark voltage. The windings turn ratio determines the operating voltage.
But the voltage is generated by the collapsing magnetic field exciting
electrons in the windings. So, the primary winding forms a magnetic
field with the points closed. When the points open, the collapsing
magnetic field sweeps by the windings, like a moving armature sweeps by
field winding magnetic field in a generator, and this voltage at the
tower terminal will rise until it finds a return path to ground, the
other terminal of the high voltage coil winding. The saturation level of
the coil limits the amount of energy available to raise the voltage.
When the spark gap fires the energy is diisapated, and the voltage goes
away. The size of the spark gap  is relative to the ionization voltage
of air.  The larger the gap, the  higher the voltage. The more small
gaps in series, the  larger the gap appears to the coil output, as the
voltage has to ionize all the gaps at the same time to fire.

Frank DuVal