<VV> Re: <> Re: main jet vs idle and spark plug miss

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Mon Nov 21 10:54:26 EST 2005

John -

I haven't tried Frank's test, but the concept of series gap spark plugs
is fairly well known. By introducing the additional gap upstream of
the "business" (in-cylinder) gap, you basically keep potential at the
main gap low until the "moment to strike" is right, when it is hit with
a lot of potential all at once, rather than more gradually. This helps
avoid charge leakage to ground on the in-cylinder gap and subsequent
loss of ignition energy. This is a pretty simplified explanation, but
it's basically what has been going on. You can (or used to be able) to
buy such add-on gizmos for use in engines that tend to foul plugs.

Jim Burkhard