<VV> Long skirt forged pistons

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Nov 21 11:50:10 EST 2005

Summing up:

If you want to change to the 140/PG combo, you'll need the correct cam
(it's the same as used in the late model 95HP engine) and you'll need
to time it the same way since it's not installed straight up.  The
easiest thing to do is have an offset key installed on the cam, rather
than procure a crank as well - the factory did the offset at the crank.
  I'd suggest ordering a new cam and a new gear, along with new lifters.
  Some vendors will install the gear for you, just make sure that they
understand the need for the offset key.

You'll also want to replace the seats, this is something you *really*
want done by a shop that knows Corvairs.  I've seen enough dropped 140
seats that I wouldn't put a set of these heads on an engine without
doing the seats.  Once that's done you should find the combo quite good
for your application.

--Bryan