<VV> Distributor Position

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 10:16:34 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/22/2005 5:05:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
donmanen at yahoo.com writes:

However,  the
distributor vaccum advance hose is too close to the AC
belt---can I  simply rotate the distributor to a
desired position and reclock the  sparkplub wires

As long as you use "sparkplug" wires, your rotation will be fine.  <grin> You
will need to rotate it exactly 60 degrees to match the  distributor terminal
to the correct plug wire and get the timing the same. If  you cannot make it
the full 60 degree amount, you can pull the distributor out,  rotate it a few
teeth (match the oil pump drive) and reinstall it. Then you will  really have
to time it from scratch. If I were you, I would rotate the motor  until it is
at TDC for cylinder #1 at the firing position (the rotor pointed at  the
existing #1 plug wire). Mark the location on the distributor where the tip  of the
rotor is pointing, and pull the distributor. Then re-install the  distributor
with the vacuum advance pot where you want it and the rotor pointed  at your
mark. Put the cap back on and do a quick timing check. -  Seth