<VV> GM cars + build locations

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 10:45:46 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/22/2005 5:28:54 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mhicks130 at cox.net writes:

Does  that include "American" cars that are not made in America?  Lots of
American cars are made in Canada and Mexico (and any day now, China).   Since
you don't care about the nationality of the workers who build the cars  is your
criteria then only the nationality of the CEO?

mike

This should, by now, be on VV-talk - But anyway, the way I look at it is to
follow the MONEY. Of the GM cars I own (I own 6 GM cars, nothing else, it just
 happened that way) One was made in Mexico - the Avalanche, two in Canada -
Camaros. One in Los Angeles, the Corvair, one in Georgia, my wife's  Intrique
and one in Kentucky, my Corvette. But all the money, the profit on  those
sales, goes to Detroit. The labor money was spread around, of course, and  I'm
sure piece parts were sourced everywhere around the world, but the profit,  if
any, went to GM. WIth Toyota's in Kentucky, the profit goes to Japan, with
Nissans in Tennesee, the money goes to France (Renault), with Mitsubishi's the
profit - wait there is no profit for Mitsubishi, but if there was, it would go
to Japan. BMW's made in South Carolina, Mercedes-Benz made in Alabama -  that
money goes back to Germany. All the big foreign Auto manufacturers doing
business in America have American subsidiary companies to run their  business
here. The CEO of these susidiaries is often an American, because we  know our
market best. (And it looks better.) The profit all goes to  the parent company. In
theory, the profits go to shareholders, wherever  they live. I suppose
Americans can own Daimler-Chrysler stock and Europeans  can own GM stock.  I guess I
have always been lucky with GM cars, starting  with a string of 1955 Chevys.
Even my 80's cars, Celebrity's, had no real  "lemonish" attributes. But I seem
unable to pass my GM experience on to my  kids, one drives a Honda the other
is borrowing my Camaro until she finds a  small ecomical car. Probably not a
Cavalier!  - Seth  Emerson