<VV> Warning: synapse firing

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Nov 22 16:55:22 EST 2005

>Pulling number 1 spark plug wire should NOT kill the engine!   Remember
>that when you did the cylinder balance test by shorting out individual
>cylinders it did not kill the engine.

No this was after it had already dropped to 350-400 rpm and pulling #3 or
#4 did nothing. So was running on no more than 4 cyl already. Just
confirmed that #1, #2, and #5 were still firing and #6 was questionable.
All plugs look a bit blacker on the insulator than I would like but do not
look fouled or oily, just black. Engine is also running cool, after 20
minutes was just cresting 200 and doors had not opened.

>Let's step back some more.  Have you performed a cylinder leakdown test on
>this engine?  This would be an excellent starting place to determine if
>the engine has various leaks for different cylinders.  You can then listen
>to the carb air horns, oil filler and the exhaust to determine where most
>of the leakage is for each cylinder.

No have never done one of those. Suppose I could learn. Did just notice
that there is some "chocolate milk" foam on the inside of the oil filter.
Have seen before (though quite a bit more) on a water pumper that has
gotten water in the oil but was a surprise on an air cooled engine.

>Finally, swapping in a higher output coil only takes a couple of
>minutes.  Worth doing, versus thinking much about.

If you happen to have one. All my old-style coils are stock. May look for a
48-60KV at the Turkey Rod Run this weekend.

Just put new plugs on #3 and #4 gapped to tight .030" with a wire gauge.
Ran fine for about 20 minutes then when put in D ran at 600, then after
about about a minute the drop reappeared. Thing is other than being a
little rough, after the drop the idle seems stable at 350-400 rpm so think
have gotten the ignition/carbs right on and comes right back with a little
throttle. Suspect a borescope would be a nice thing to have.

Of course all this is in the garage and while the idler bearing quiets down
above 600 rpm I am still reluctant to take out on the street until replaced
(actually seems considerably less noisy than before, maybe all the WD-40
finally penetrated).

Padgett