<VV> Buffalo area--Convention info-- potables.

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Nov 22 17:27:08 EST 2005

Folks
This is the first in a series of posts I will be making as convention in Buffalo time approaches. This post contains 2 things I love to discuss.
BEER!! and Buffalo,NY..my hometown.

I invite other Buffalo Natives to add to or correct my information as it comes out. I want everyone to see and enjoy the Queen of the Great Lakes. And perhaps see what makes we Buffalonians so odd to outsiders.

First of all, let's talk about BEER. Since many potential conventioneers will be looking to save their pennies and dimes, and may not be doing too much drinking in bars (though bar prices in Buffalo can be very reasonable depending on where one goes), Let's just talk about best places to buy it, and what's available.

You can buy beer in Buffalo and WNY (Western New York) just about anywhere. Grocery Stores, some Drug Stores, and at "Beer Stores"--places that specialize in just beverages.

Grocery Stores usually have good prices and selections. Tops Markets and Wegman's are the 2 largest grocery outlets in the area. They have websites that you can look at, and of course weekly specials.

When I go home, I usually go to Consumer's Beverages to get my potables. They have what I'm looking for, usually have good prices on everything--good place to get ice too, and also to return bottles and cans for deposit.

Local Brews--There was a time that Buffalo had 125 Breweries. There are none still open today. There are a couple of good Buffalo Microbrews for those so inclined.
The closest thing to local domestic brews are Genesee, and Saranac/Utica Club/Matt's.

    Genesee was made for many years in Rochester. From what I can tell it is now brewed in TX. Genesee has many different types, is fairly inexpensive, and goes down just dandy. Comes in Beer, Cream Ale, Ice, Light, Red, and NA.
a 30 pack usually runs around 12.00

Utica Club and Matt's are made by the F.X. Matt Brewery in Utica, as is the Saranac brews. U/C and Matt's are Krausened beers, and have unique flavors. If you like an IPA (India Pale Ale),or a Black and Tan, Saranac's is fine, and price isn't bad either.

Canadian---Most Canadians will testify that the Canadian Beer that you purchase in the USA is fresher, and cheaper than what you get at the Brewer's Retail in Ontario.
Perhaps one of our Northern brethren will expound, but I'll tell you what's normally available. If you haven't tried the Canadian Beers (lots of Americans can't bring themselves to desert Budweiser--UGH)DO IT--It can change the beer drinking part of your life forever.

MOLSON
Molson Canadian Beer--Nectar of the Gods---Great on Tap
Molson Golden Ale---Same as above, but a bit mellower/creamier
Molson Dry--Higher alcohol content, still great taste
Molson Ice--slightly higher than normal alcohol content,
Ice brewed, clean and fresh.
Molson Export Ale--Everything you expect in a Canadian Ale.
Molson XXX--Ultra High Alcohol content. Taste is only fair,but a couple set ya down. May only be available in Canada.

Molson of course offers a no alcohol brew.

Labatt's--Another time honored Brew
Labatt's Blue --Standard beer--great taste
Labatt's Ice--Ice brewed, fresh taste, slightly higher alcohol content
Labatt's 50 Ale--Another great Canadian Ale--Gary S's favorite.
John Labatt's Extra Stock. Similar to Molson XXX but tastes a lot better. May only be available in Canada.

O'Keefe--Recently aquired by Molson.
O'Keefe Old Vienna Beer- A long standing Canadian Favorite, and one of my Personal Favorites--Great taste.
O'Keefe Ale--A fine Canadian Ale--Great with a Roast Beef Sand. (more on that later)

Where to Drink--For this one I need Gary or another Native who has been in town lately to expound. If your're looking for bars, you won't have far to go. Here's what I remember.

Chippewa St--In the 30's this street was Jewlery Row--Sales and Manufacturers. My uncle ran a ring manuf. shop at 75 1/2 for years. In the 50's 60's and 70's this was a very run-down area, and "the stroll" for the local hookers. it has undergone a true revival, and has lots of trendy bars with outside seating. I couldn't believe how much it had changed, and all for the better. Probably close to 2 dozen bars to try.

Lafayette Tap Room. Good entertainment, plenty of beers on tap to try.

Elmwood Strip---On Elmwood Av near Buffalo State University. Student traffic will be light due to the season, great bars line a 4-6 block strip. Some new, some have been there since the 70's.

Hertel Av--another revival area, great bars, some going back to the 70's, outside drinking/eating covered areas.

Don't hesitate to drop into the local "dive" bars. Locals-working class folks, great prices and superb food can be had.  I may take out a group of interested drinkers to some of the classic dive bars in my old neighborhood

Keep in mind--NY does have a NO SMOKING law in effect for bars--it drives the bar operators nuts. If you have to/desire to smoke cigarettes and cigars with your brew, stick to the places with outside areas.

(Smokers and those trying to quit--remember!! Alcohol doubles the excretion rate of nicotine from the body--a good reason why people smoke like fiends in bars. At least that's what my doctor told me--Bill might be able to back this up)

Gary and other locals--I know there are places I've missed.
Please feel free to correct and elaborate.

For those who don't imbibe---
When you are in area eating and drinking establishments, on the drink list you will see something called "Loganberry".  It's a non carbonated drink that has a taste all its own, and grows on you quick--I always have to bring home diet Loganberry from a trip home.

 For those who like a great "non-hot" ginger ale, try some Vernors. Michigan folks should know about it.

If you like a grapefruit soda-ask for SQUIRT--It's the best out there. Also a great mixer for Sloe Gin, standard
(clear)gin,and other liquors.

Next installment---an ode to some of Buffalo's best comfort food--Hot Dogs, Pizza, Sub Sandwiches, the world famous Buffalo Chicken Wings, and locally famous Beef on Weck.

Questions??

Hank