<VV> Rekeying lock cylinders

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 10:17:58 EST 2005

Rekeying the cylinders isn't too hard but finding the parts to do one is a
little tough. I harvest them from old locks. (Glove box locks require no new
parts to rekey)

The procedure is in the factory shop manual. Page 0-3 in the '65 book.
Basically, you remove the cylinder from whatever lock - the ignition takes just a
paper clip (let's skip the others).  Then you pry off the retainer cover on the
side of the cylinder.  Don't mangle it, you want to reuse it. Each end of the
cover has a blade that sticks into the cylinder about 1/8"; that's what you
are prying up and out.  Make sure the cover is on top as it comes off or you
will have 5-6 ittybitty springs and slides (tumblers) on the floor.

Each slide has a notch in the side; there are five different locations for
the notch on that edge of the slide, each cooresponding to the five different
depths of cut on the key. You match the slide to the depth cut on the key.  You
can also use the key code number to select the required slides, but that's
more work.  There are pictures of all this and the key to decoding the code
number in the manual.

I've learned to read the key directly (the factory cut notch is a 2, no cut
is a 1, fully cut to the step is a 5)   Starting from the head, a fictitious
key might be 34541.  I have harvested slides out of old locks and keep them in a
little plastic box, sorted by number.  Pick-up a key, read it, drop the
appropriate slides in the lock, replace the cover and pinch the cylinder to hold it
and you're done.  The manual makes it seem more difficult.  Door cylinders
need more effort 'cause you have to beg a locksmith to sell you some replacement
caps - the originals are destroyed upon removal.

Don't be surprised it this shows up in my Techlines column next month ;-)
Craig Nicol